Sunday, February 24, 2013

DIY ribbon/fabric tape spool

In my previous post on DIY fabric tape I said that I would give you a quick tutorial on how to make your own spool for tape/ribbon. Just to help you in the ongoing battle against craft supply chaos ;)
So here goes: 

You will need: 
Cardboard
A toilet roll tube
Scissors
A ruler
A punch for the circular parts (or just use scissors again;) )
Glue
A heavy book


I used a punch to make the round flat parts - but if you don't have a suitable punch in your craft corner you can just trace around a jar lid and cut it out with a pair of scissors.
Then measure your tape or ribbon to see how wide it is. Add 2mm and mark it off on the toilet roll tube. It helps if you mark it all the way around and then cut it with the scissors or carpet knife/utility knife.

Place some glue on the edge of the toilet roll tube piece and stick one of the round flat parts to it. Do the same with the other side of the toilet roll tube piece. (you have to look quite carefully to see the glue in both these pictures, but I promise its there :)

Once you have glued both flat round pieces to either side of the piece of toilet roll tube, place a book on it and leave it till the glue dries. Above is a photo of the glue that I used.

And you are done!!
 And you recycled in the process - give yourself a pat on the back ;)

Blessings

6 comments:

Alissa said...

Gabi! I love this! And I miss you! I think you would be very proud of Ian's and my Valentine's Day craft. We made coasters (if you haven't realized yet, this has nothing to do with your amazing post...just me updating you because I am too lazy to write an email). Anywho, we printed off maps of places we have lived/visited and modge-podged them to tiles. They turned out pretty awesome. I rarely do crafty things like that, but it was Ian's idea and we had so much fun doing it! Okay that is all. I am praying for you and the hubs :) Hugs!

Sewandthecity said...

What a clever idea! Love it!

Nash Khan said...

Fantasticcc! <3
-Nash (Craft a Doodle Doo)

Nancy Nelson said...

Now couldn't I ever think to make those? I can't wait to make some to help organize some of my sewing supplies such as binding and bias tapes. Way cool! Thanks for sharing.

teresa said...

I love it. so simple but yet so clever. Thank you for sharing

Fabrics said...

Well done, It's cute, thanks for sharing, I am really having a hard time in keeping my fabric tape recently, this spool seems to be enough to solve it.